Monday, July 18, 2011

Drums Between the Bells

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/07/brian-eno-drums-between-the-bells/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

This is the stream of the newish Eno cd, "Drums Between the Bells". I am enjoying the feel just two tracks in, more tension than any recent Eno or Eno collaboration in recent memory.

I love the second track, "Glitch". He is working his space jazz groove here. Definitely reminds me of his work with U2 on Zooropa, but also dips back into a Bush of Ghosts territory as well.

I love the ambient compositions too. For me the juxtaposition of the spoken word performances call to mind Laurie Anderson's work, especially on "Seed Pods"; and the Vocodered girls voice of, "The Real".

"Sound Alien" is actually the title track. It is an adrenaline rush of rhythm I would love to be the sound track of a cutting-edge roller coaster. I swear he has been listening to imaginary 1970's soul-detective dramas.

But "Dow" featuring Eno's own voice (I believe) is actually the update I have been waiting for- the connective tissue between Another Green World and Nerve Net. I am lifting off...

The album end with a piece called, "Silence", itself a cribbing of John Cage's "4:33"- the original non-musical, no-sound at all statement. Throughout the 58 seconds of time, one imagines Eno's own wild flipping of Oblique Strategies divination cards, each one restating the original message, "Just Shut Up Already". And so he does, a slave to his own machinations.

1 comment:

  1. Snap, the last track is actually "The Breath of Crows". Would that it were not.

    ReplyDelete